5.18.2012

The Bohemian Collective & Bird Trouble


Hey everyone! A few weeks ago, Laura from Roots & Feathers asked me if I could create a custom bag for her if she sent me fabric. OF COURSE, I was jumped to the opportunity. I felt almost honored because I've found Laura to be inspiring ever since I´ve known about her. I've been a follower of her blog for a few years now and have watched her businesses grow, become Etsy featured seller, flourish and become what she is now... and man, she is rad. 

When she asked me, she also told me about the project she wanted to use the bag for. She pitched her idea of a lookbook that she could style and photograph for. Eventually this idea of a lookbook turned into a whole blog! This is where The Bohemian Collective comes in. The Bohemian Collective features a collaboration of artists and designers looking to give back, and hopefully make a difference in the world. It was just released yesterday and have been glowing rays of happiness all day. Here are the words from the Mission Statement that can be found here

"The artists and companies in The Bohemian Collective have joined efforts to create a place where we inspire creativity and giving through our art and vision. This rotating collaboration of artists will orchestrate inspiring, seasonal lookbooks featuring our handmade clothing, jewelry, and home accessories. Our desire is to share the love within our community as far as we can! This is where you can help. We invite anyone to participate by making a donation in any amount you choose which will be allocated to a specific charity each season. All proceeds this summer will benefit To Write Love On Her Arms, a non-profit movement dedicated to presenting hope and finding help for people struggling with depression, addiction, self-injury and suicide. To read more about their organization, please read here."

I came up with two designs. A large fringe satchel shoulder bag and fairly large a clutch. Here they are!


Laura sent me a window valance with this really great print tribal bohemian print. She loved the fringe in my Fringe Satchels so I went to the thrift store with the fabric to find the perfect leather jacket to cut up. It was only the first time I went when my eyes met this grape purple, horribly ugly shaped, leather jacket. There were drawstrings at the wrists, one of those a huge half rain flaps on the back, and it was a huge size. Haha, I just remember it being super unflattering, BUT I loved the color. I knew it'd be perfectly pair together with the fabric, while still thinking of Laura's style. There was more than enough window valance, so I made her a clutch too.

I am completely taken away and honored to be apart of something so special and with so many other talented ladies, such as these few ladies I already knew of and looked up to. Such as Moorea Seal,  Poor Pitiful Pearl,  The Art and Found, Flourish (to name a few). Head on over, listen to the music shuffle at the bottom  of the page, and be inspired by all of the wild talent of all the artisans involved.

Thank you Laura for asking me to be apart of this and thank you Kelly Ann // The Flowerchild Dwelling for your great work on the blog design! 

No comments:

Post a Comment